Thursday, August 15, 2013

A New Cupcake Stand & A New(ish) Camera

So for my birthday this year, my super sweet husband bought me a new camera :)















Which is awesome, if slightly dated information. I haven't had much chance to use it yet, b/c it's nice so I don't want to take it with me everywhere and thus...I haven't had it when I needed it...
Oh well. Today I decided to play around with it a little and see if I couldn't get a little better at it and my charming subject was my shiny new cupcake stand which I made out of Goodwill finds and some hot glue. 
 
Tea Cup Cupcake Stand


















Supplies:
-3 Goodwill (or ready to repurpose) plates
-3 Goodwill (or ready to repurpose) tea cups or sugar bowls or creamers (go crazy)
-Hot glue gun & glue sticks

Instructions:
1. Wash off the price tags (illegible price scribbled on item in marker) and start heating up the glue gun.
2 .Decide the order you want to put your cups in (Plates should get smaller as the layers go up)
3. Line the bottom of your base cup (which can be seen in the picture below) with glue and stick it gently to the center of bottom of your lowest plate. If you don't have OCD like I do then continue on to the next step. If you do, then note that if you don't press too hard you should be able to pull the cup back off if you didn't get it perfectly centered*


















4. Press the plate and cup together for a few seconds and then move on to the next cup.
5. Line the rim of the second cup with hot glue and press it to the center top of your lowest plate.
6. Then line the bottom of that cup with glue and stick the next plate on top of that.
7. Continue the pattern until you've added your last plate (You could easily do more layers if you start with a larger plate for your base)
8. Gently test your finished product to make sure all the parts are successfully stuck together by holding it up by the top plate (preferably over something soft) and/or tugging gently on the pieces to be sure they don't come apart.
9. Stand back and admire your handy work!

*The first time I stuck the creamer on it wasn't center and it wouldn't come off (I think it had something to do with the little spout or maybe I just pressed it on too firmly) and it was driving me crazy. My charming husband was kind enough to teach me that if you pour some boiling water on the dish and twist the cup it'll break the bond. So if you really mess up you can always try that :)






No comments:

Post a Comment